Friday, March 7, 2008

Sweet Little Sixteen


Zoe's Birth Announcement

I can’t believe that 16 years ago today my daughter, Zoe, was born. My mother was born on March 8, and she was quite insistent about not having to share her birthday with her granddaughter; fortunately, Zoe cooperated by being born on March 7th. My mom would have been 96 tomorrow – I will remember her tomorrow, as I do every day.

I recall my own 16th birthday, which was celebrated with a Sweet 16 luncheon for my girlfriends at a restaurant. I know there was an invitation, but there’s no trace of it now. The menu featured a jello mold salad and chicken with a cherry sauce – that’s what passed for sophisticated food at the time. Since that time, I have learned a lot more about food, and have passed along my passion for food to Zoe. Many happy hours pass while we are cooking and baking together. I made her favorite scones as a treat for breakfast today.

Every year, we make her favorite chocolate sour cream cake for her birthday celebration. But this year’s cake will have to wait. Zoe left this morning to spend four days in Washington, DC learning how to advocate in Congress on issues of social justice. My husband and I are trying to teach Zoe that if you want change, you have to get involved and help to make that change happen. This trip will help her build the foundation for a lifetime of taking action on issues she cares about.

On this landmark birthday, it is particularly poignant to look at her birth announcement. I had it framed not long after Zoe was born, but when I began this business she requested that I “redo it”, Purple Raincoat-style. And so I did. There's no expiration date on remembering the joy of a child's arrival in the world. I think that framing a birth announcement is a wonderful gift for a milestone birthday, don’t you?

Happy birthday, Zoe. This one’s for you.


When you're looking for a unique, personalized gift, come to Purple Raincoat, where we are experts in creating one-of-a-kind keepsake gifts. Visit www.purpleraincoat.com to see more samples of framed keepsakes made from birth announcements and collages for other special occasions.

No comments: